home about books art events contact

Monday, August 23, 2010

Ghost Hunts and Voodoo Queens

I'm just now discovering the many joys of book research. I'm working on a new project, and to get the "feel" for it, i've started making some connections. For starters, Voodoo Queen, Bloody Mary, has graciously accepted my request to answer questions that me or my MC have for her (hmmm, don't you wonder what my story is about?).

AND, to actually experience something that will be related to my story, this Saturday, August 28th, I am going on an overnight ghosthunt! It's a private residence on 22 acres of land, the house is built on an Indian Burial Ground, a cemetery plot on the property, and a real Wells Fargo Coach Stop.

Apparently, the Paranormal Investigators leading this event went to this place in June and after hearing strange voices and whispers (from a child), seeing lights, following "shadow people" that made the cows act funny, among many other things. A photo was even taken of the group of the investigators, but when looking at the picture, the investigators were not n the picture. This was the conclusion of their written report.

*Note: EVP=Electronic Voice Phenomena

CONCLUSION: With all of the EVPs that were gathered and all of the multiple witnesses to various paranormal events, I have to deem this property as haunted. Other notes to this investigation is that Walter Recino gets a call from his girlfriend. His girlfriend is sitting next to him, she didn't dial his number, but his cell says it was her that called. A psychic picks up on a little girl with a bloody face. Jennifer Newell picks up on all kinds of activity...


And get this, this same team of Paranormal Invesigators (which include a team of psychics) were featured on our local newstation for another upcoming project. One that deals with solving a murder crime which you can read about HERE and HERE.

So as I was saying, book research. Fun stuff, right? I think it's important to get first hand experience to give your novel a "realistic" approach even though the story itself may veer off the realisic path.

I think I might do an all night Twitter Update while I'm at the overnight ghosthunt. Who's in?

Do YOU believe?


12 comments:

Unknown said...

If I lived close I would so join you!!! You bet your tush I'll be on twitter watching you update your status though!!!

I have to say I don't not believe. Anything can happen so I prefer to take the approach of giving them the benefit of the doubt, I don't want any ghosts after me because I've done them wrong. Be nice to others... you never know who's coming back with a vengeance!

Judy said...

I believe. Was going to check out the story about solving a murder. Did you mean to put a link in for that?

Nicole said...

awww wish my story required that kind of research - sounds like fun!! We want a blow by blow blog account :)

Rose Cooper said...

I agree with you, Jen! And cool that would be if you lived closer!!

Judy- oops. Link is up. Thanks for catching that!

Nicole- Or maybe you can build a story around the research, lol You bet!

Casey said...

I'll definitely stalk your ghost hunt tweets on Twitter! Sounds awesome! I went on a ghostwalk at Gettysburg College when I was in Gettysburg last summer. It was actually pretty scary. And I don't scare easy, if that tells you anything about it ^_^

Jenny Rose said...

Now why couldn't research in highschool and college have been this fun? Lol! I've been researching the Space Shuttle and Star Wars behind the scenes and playing video games till it hurts :)

vic caswell said...

oh man, i would TOTALLY chicken out!!! i can't even WATCH ghosthunters with my hubby and when DESTINATION TRUTH gets all ghost-y i start freaking... and yes, ghosts are prominent in my WIP and WAY more viral than any of the things on those shows... but then when i'm writing them, I have the control...
I'm TOTALLY a believer... and i would follow the twitter thing, if i understood twitter...

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Why do you get to have all the fun? (very large pout here)
Yes, I believe.

Mary

Jaydee Morgan said...

Yep, I believe. Our home is located on an old church site and I really think there is a passthrough on our property. Enjoy your all-night vigil :)

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss rose! wow that souns scary for sure. but i want to go with you but you gotta hold my hand and let me hide behind you when one of those ghosts gets there. ha ha. i like thinking theres ghosts but mostly fun ones that just try to get you scared but dont hurt you. if you get back i cant wait to hear if you saw ghosts.
...smiles from lenny

Vicki Rocho said...

It's so funny you posted about this today because I posted a ghost story about my mom! Yup, I'm a believer.

I'm also laughing because my daughter had a friend over the other day who told her that nonsense about Bloody Mary in the mirror and she wouldn't believe me when I told her it was just a story.

Amy Holder said...

Those pics are spooky! I'd love to do an overnight ghosthunt, although it would probably freak me out! Have fun & please post a full report after the hunt!